Monday, January 7, 2013

My Closet Makeover!

Now I know it's only January but I think I am going to start working on some Valentine's Day crafts. I've seen so many cute ones on Pinterest and want to enjoy them for more than a week (which is typically the time I put them up.) Nothing special here at my casa with Valentine's Day but I think the fun crafts I have in mind would brighten my days around such a holiday. Stay tuned for some DIY Valentine's Crafts in the coming week.

In the meantime- I wanted to post some pictures of a HUGE accomplishment I did back over the Labor Day weekend last year. When Chris moved there was a rather large whole in my closet and not admitting to myself that he was gone I just filled the whole with my clothes and didn't care about where anything went. That's completely not me (when it comes to my home) and would shame my 5 years of blood, sweat, and tears working retail and the constant drive I had to keep my store perfect. With that being said, since I had the time, I decided I was going to give my closet a makeover. I had hanging clothes everywhere. Shoes were tossed in the bottom floor. Bags and purses just thrown on the top shelf and not organized. And my T-shirts were folded on the shelf of a bookcase that was just taking up too much room. Finally, I can't even begin to explain the chaos my jewelry was in. I love my jewelry but I didn't know what I had anymore.

My first task was to get rid of the large 5 shelf bookcase and replace with with a 3 shelf that I had in my study at the time. As you can see in the previous post, that 5 shelf is now a white bookcase (after painting) and fits perfectly in my new study providing the space and storage it's meant to give. Once I moved the smaller shelf in, I knew I had to condense the items on the shelves and walls. Though the closet is large and spacious it only had 2 bars- one short and one very long one. So I decided to add a second bar on the shorter end of the closet, lower the bottom bar, and raise the top shelf. This made it perfect for all my t-shirts and the bottom bar holding jeans, pants, and tanks. The very, very top shelf, I just have some special shirts folded as I don't plan on wearing them. The other bar in the closet was now open for me to spread out the blouses and dresses I have and organize them by sleeve lengths and colors. Sounds OCD- but really it's what I was used to while working retail and still find many habits of color coding everything these days.

As far as the shoes, I got rid of the large door shoe holder that was on the wall and got two shoe racks  for the floor. My other heels (the ones I typically wear at work and the most of) found a place on the new bookcase. The biggest change was the jewelry. I had already all these jewelry organizing cases handing on the bars of the closet but you can see I never used them. Well I decided to put them to use now. All my earings, bracelets, watches, pins, and matching necklaces are all organized.  In addition, I bought a cork board at Walmart for $5.00 so I can hang the majority of my necklaces so I can see them. 

I am proud say it's been about 5 months- and the closet is still neat and still organized. Only thing I've added (with the exception of new clothes) is some girly pictures and an Ikea bending mirror that I use as I match my jewelry with my outfit.  I love it! I enjoy going into my closet and being able to move around and know where everything is at! It's my own personal dressing room. :)

THE BEFORE:  (UGH...)
Clearly you can see I just threw my purses and bags on the top shelf and just hung clothes where ever there was a spot.
This divider was suppose to serve a purpose :)
I just gave up folding since I knew I was going to have to re-do this. And all my jewelry... there are no words.
As you can see, the closet is pretty deep and spacious but still was no help if not organized. 



THE AFTER:
The second bar made a HUGE difference and all those unfolded shirts went back to being hung.
So much better!
Took awhile to go through all the jewelry but the pay off was so great!
Shoes are organized and my divider now serves a purpose for clutch purses, hats, travel make up bags, etc.

MY ADDED CUTE THINGS:
"Shopping is cheaper than therapy"

"Exercise? I thought you said Accessorize!"




2 comments:

  1. Hi Sweetie,

    Just wanted to make a comment on your closet makeovers...WOW!!!! It looks wonderful. So neat and organized. I am so proud of you. Good job..high five... As far as Valentine's Day projects, go for it. Remember I am having Feb. Keno and I intend to have a belated Valentine's Day Keno on Feb 19th. I have some things already but I sure would show of your projects as decorations if you make some. Love Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks GREAT! One day when I am all grown up I am going to get organized I swear it!

    ReplyDelete