Friday, January 4, 2013

My New Craft Room/Office

Here is it everyone! I have finally turned my office into a craft room/study and I want to share my pictures. I've been wanting to for a while but always found an excuse not to or just had lack of time. It got to the point where I found myself (and raise your hand if this is you):
  • Not knowing my full inventory of scrapbook stuff and always buying duplicates. 
  • Finding waisted space in my drawers or closets and never completely organizing everything. 
  • Going away on a scrapbook retreat and bringing almost everything I had because I didn't know what I had. 
  • Not being able to complete the crafts/cards/albums I wanted to because I had no counter space or no room.
  • And never being able to proudly display all my crafts I had made thus far because well- they didn't match anything. 
Reality was- I had tons of room! I just had the wrong furniture and so the vision began. It started with me finding an old office desk at a church garage sale for $25.00! It was perfect. It was long, it had 4 drawers, and was at the perfect height. That same place also had a wooden stool which fits great in the "chair" spot under the desk. Problem was- once I got it in the room (and you will see in the pictures) I had NO space and something had to be done. My best bet was to get rid of the large pull out desk armoire and buy a smaller desk to just hold my computer and printer. All my craft stuff would be organized in the other desk and I would model my closet and really bring out the use of my bookcase and shelving.

So- Bought some wine, I splashed some paint on the walls, brighten the room up with a choice of pastels and some bold colors, painted all my brown furniture white, moved around furniture, completely re-organizing my whole office and closet with the new use of shelving and hardware and you will find my new Craft Room/Study! Side note- I want to thank my friend Judy for helping me paint and move furniture! No way I would have been able to move this stuff around- especially the loveseat which also is a sleeper!

BEFORE: 
After the craft desk was bought it was clear that this room was super crowded!
Plain white walls gave me no inspiration!
Just not the focal point I was going for!
This large desk was taking up all the room!
I had no spot for my Cricut which just sat in a box. :( And non of these boxes with the exception of the bottom ones were even being used!

THE LABOR:
Because this is how you paint a whole room!
These were too large to move. So plastic tarp became my friend!
Slowly but surely the paint was getting up on the walls!
A couple coats of primer and white paint!

AFTER:
Now this will bring me some inspiration!
Kept the framing but just moved it to the opposite wall. This is my new desk from Ikea!
My Cricut in the corner sitting nicely on my storage unit next to the craft wall. Perfect for cutting while I'm at the desk.
That's a cork board I made with cork roll and a poster frame  then I had a cork picture frame that I painted and centered on the larger board. (On sale at Walmart for a $1.00- now I just need to add a picture.)  Underneath is a metal board for magnets and I have my ribbon scraps in metal magnet containers! Eventually stuff I'm working on will be displayed.
Now that's what I call a focal point! ....No that's not my dog- just a pillow!  :)
So much more space adding a peg board! Only $9.00 from Home Depot.
I have a new space for the Big Kick Embosser I want!
Yes- I made these paintings!  :)

RE-ORGANIZED CLOSET:
Ah- yes- I have it back to a walk in closet!
My photo boxes, scraps box, and storage tote on top self, with more organized items on the bottom.
The other side with a designated "wrapping station" with tissue,  gift boxes, and gift sacks all on top shelf.


  
Well there you have it! My new room! Took a couple weekends because I work during the week but I knew my vision in mind would have a great payoff! If you have any questions on certain items and where I got them, let me know. I tried re-using a lot of the stuff I already had but I remember for the most part where everything came from. My forte is decorating on a budget. I am all about refurbishing something, organizing and labeling, and finding the best deals out there!

1 comment:

  1. I love this post. You really are an amazing and crafty gal! I wish I could set you loose on my computer room and get it looking great! Ah well, projects for me whenever we get into the new house on base. Then I am going to go to Ikea. Why did no one ever tell me how awesome Ikea was?!

    ReplyDelete